NEW EDEN.....The EvE of a new Azeroth

NEW EDEN.....The EvE of a new Azeroth

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Proteus Loved; Proteus Lost.

Well having invested in my first multi-hundred million ISK ship in the Proteus, I was keen on pushing the test flight to the limit. You know, flying a lvl 3 or even a lvl 4 mission would be below such a fine piece of Gallente engineering; I was heading to a WH.

Now since this is the test flight and nobody wants to loose a ship on one of those, I fit H.M.S. Metamorphosis w/a heavy tank, resists were at the lowest 83% and the highest 97%. I fit Her out w/ a faction MWD, faction armor rep, Sisters launcher, and TII the rest. First WHole I find was a C3. "Disco, Disco" repeating over and over in my head, Sleepers start melting at 2.5KM, the salvager is bringing in some solid loots (4 nano ribbons the first 2 sites) and I'm feeling good w/ the setup. Now w/ that being said, I feel "good" not "great" or "amazing". The cap is going quicker than I'm used to, and I cant seem to land solid hits when orbiting at more than 400m/s. But the tank was holding as well as I had hoped for.

Having "helped" the owner of this WH clean up some sites, I scanned down a connecting WH, hopped thru & took stock of the sites. Oh, what sites this WHole had...I BM the first 5 pew-pew sites, then check the info on the system. C3 w/ a bonus to missile flight time (bleh) and a penalty to my max velocity. Should I? Sure why not! First site I warp into 30KM & lock up the frigates. "KA-BOOSH", pop, pop, & pop. Frigs down, tank is holding. I set orbit on the frig wrecks and salvage as the drones tear thru the first cruiser. After finishing the salvage on the first 3 wrecks I rocket (have I mentioned I'd never flown a cruiser sized ship w/ a MWD?) towards the first cruiser to assist my drones, 2 volleys of Anti-Matter M and it's on to salvaging. I recall the drones and head to the trigger ship.

At this point, things settle down to a routine, first wave pops, is salvaged, second wave goes down the same, though the BS was a bit rougher than I had expected. Well the trigger from the 3rd wave goes and I'm salvaging it as the 4th appears, now this is were things go south, & go south fast.

The last spawn has 3x BS, 2x Cruiser and I'm content to finish my current task before engaging the next section of sleeper vehicles. Well my shields were already down to nada from the first waves, my armor is sitting at around 90% then I hear "ERRRNNNNTTT", less than a heartbeat later I see my mail icon blinking, see my Hull melt to 0% and I'm the proud owner of a new ship. The new model isn't as easy on the eyes as the Proteus...So what went wrong? I have no clue to be honest, bad spawn on the last wave? Any ideas or knowledge that the readers have would be greatly appreciated.

I've since bought a new Proteus and replaced the subs that I lost. The new fit(s) seem to work fine in the C1-2's that I've been running, but I hold my breath every engagement seeing as how the LAST fit held in one C3 but not the other. Well enough for tonight, typed this up in a hurry while at work (on detachment to Top Gun in beautiful Fallon NV.).

o/ Fly Safe!

5 comments:

  1. link your original fitting and I can tell you what went probably wrong :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done all c2 sites (radar included) in a vagabond using a similar approach. I don't have any answers for you, but how do you think the Loki would fair in a similar situation?

    I am not certain about jumping into C3s right now, as there are scrambling ships in there and the "o-shit bumped into an object and lost my transversal getting pummeled-warp drive active" situations are what get me a tad worried... Being scrammed in those moments = lost ship, not very fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the BS of a class 3 get you in their optimal and you get the webs from the cruisers ( and/or ) BS.. they hit hard.

    I concur with QP though , it all comes down to the fit.. personally, I have used a tengu/drake combo , but never attempted to do cl3 in a single ship. These days I run them with 3x drakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quivering Palm & Dv8Mutt;

    Forgive my dislike for EvE Fit tools & my complete lack of computer skills...I'll type the fit the drawn-out way.

    Proteus-
    Nanobot Injector
    Hybrid Propulsion Armature
    Emergent Locus Analyzer
    Power Core Multiplier
    Localized Injectors
    Lows
    x2 Medium Armor Repairer II
    x1 Armor Thermic Hardener II
    x1 Armor EM Hardener II
    x1 Armor Explosive Hardener II
    x2 Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Med
    x1 Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
    x1 Cap Recharger II
    x1 Republic Fleet 10MN MicroWarpdrive
    High
    x1 Salvager I
    x1 Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher
    x4 Heavy Neutron Blaster II
    Rigs
    x3 Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

    I recall having TII Med Drones and Antimatter M loaded in the blasters. I would use the MWD to burn in and set orbit around 2km then turn it off, turn the Web on then start blasting. Drones were deployed and scooped as needed.

    o/ Fly Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Bluefleye,
    Dwarf (my alt) is a mini, cant tell you how much I'd love to get him in a Vaga or Loki. Though since I cross trained for the Drake (ahem) looks like a Tengu for him in the future. We have a Loki pilot in the corp w/ some WH's under his belt, I'll see if we can't get him on here to guest post in the future. The best I can give you atm is from my view w/ the Proteus.
    I love my Blaster fits w/ either a MWD or AB (faction is a must I'm seeing, and worth the price) though when running x2 Proteus w/ RR'rs Rails and a buffer work wonders. I'm sure the Loki would fit this as well, AC's and speed or Arty, extenders, & RR.

    ReplyDelete